Schizophrenia is most easily recognized by the symptoms that define it, such as visual and auditory hallucinations (e.g., “seeing things” and “hearing voices”) and delusions, including paranoia. But other symptoms are also extremely common.
Apathy, for instance, is often observed. If a person is experiencing auditory or visual delusions and paranoia – “psychosis” – they they are less likely to engage in day to day activities because the voices and suspicions are controlling the majority of their life. A Person living with schizophrenia can still experience depression even when they are not having other symptoms, the person will show signs of apathy, which can be attributed to the depression. Excessive doses of antipsychotics can also sometimes contribute to apathy.
Negative Symptoms Associated with Schizophrenia
Between 40% and 50% of people living with schizophrenia who have been treated and are recovering
will show evidence of negative symptoms. Negative symptoms include:
• Emotional flatness or lack of expressiveness.
• Inability to start and follow through with activities.
• Lack of pleasure or interest in life.
One distinction of some people living with schizophrenia is they do not expect enjoyable activities to give them pleasure, which likely causes them to not engage in pleasure-seeking behaviors.
- Study sheds light on schizophrenia genetics (metronews.ca)
- How to determined the headline about the other types of schizo in my story (ireport.cnn.com)
- Discovery by schizophrenia researchers provides hope in battle against the mental illness (vancouversun.com)
- The Role of Psychotic Disorders in Religious History Considered (areycorneja.wordpress.com)
- Schizophrenia drug targeting negative symptoms remains as elusive as ever with the demise of Roche’s bitopertin (sussexdrugdiscovery.wordpress.com)
- What is Schizophrenia? Scientists Call for New Thinking (blogs.kqed.org)
- Do Antipsychotics Worsen Schizophrenia in the Long-run? (psychologytoday.com)
- Antipsychotic : Dr Rahul Kunkulol’s Power point preparations (slideshare.net)
- Antibiotics Found Effective in Schizophrenia (psychologytoday.com)