We will be showing the video documentary “Ride the Tiger- A Guide Through the Bipolar Brain” at our August 20, 2018 meeting. The video tells the the stories of highly accomplished individuals who have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder. The documentary seeks to find out where the biological breakdowns occur and how we can possibly preempt, fix, or rewire our brains back to recovery.
Patrick Kennedy, Patty Duke and Dr. Phil Insell are a few of the featured speakers and story tellers. Please join us for this informative viewing and discussion.
The meeting will be at 7:30 PM in Faith Hall at the First Lutheran Church, 2900 Carson Street, Torrance. Our Family Support Group will meet at 6 PM in the small room off of Faith Hall.
NAMI Los Angeles County Council will sponsor a Connections Facilitator Training, August 25 & 26,
2018, in Los Angeles. The Connections curriculum is designed to enable co-facilitators who are not
mental health professionals to run support groups for their peers. It is an opportunity for NAMI
members to help support other members in navigating the challenges and triumphs of living with a
mental illness. Facilitators also provide hope and remind members that they are not alone.
- Graduates of a peer to peer course are preferred but not required.
- Be at a point in their life where they are familiar and comfortable with the emotional issues members
face and can self-disclose about their own feelings regarding their illness and recovery.
- Current membership in a NAMI Affiliate ( Los Angeles County Preferred )
- Attend the entire two-day training
- Commit to facilitate groups for at least a year
- Facilitating experience is not needed!
After your application is reviewed and you are accepted as a participant we will then contact you with more details for this training.
- What: Two-day NAMI Connections Facilitator Training
- Who: Contact Zack Kendall, Coordinator for an application at Zackery.Kendall@namisfv.org
- When: August 25 & 26, 2018; Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.; Sunday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Where: NAMI LACC Headquarters, Los Angeles
- Cost: LA County NAMI affiliate members $100, waived upon participant graduation. Outside affiliates $200. Cost covers trainer fees, breakfast and lunch for both days; and training materials. [NAMI (individual) members or affiliates cover the cost of dinner and hotel accommodations for students.]
- Deadline : Applications must be received by August 15, 2018.
If your interested, CLICK HERE to APPLY.
NAMI California will host a focus group webinar on August 8 from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM as part of its NAMI Smarts Enhancement program. NAMI is looking for members of diverse communities including LGBTQ persons and people of color, among others, to lend a hand in developing material to help individuals communicate their stories for advocacy purposes.
This is the third of three focus groups for this effort – Thank you to all who have participated and lent us your voice.
CLICK HERE to Register.
Our thoughts are with Californians impacted by the recent wildfires across the state. NAMI South Bay praises First Responders for getting so many to safety, and we want to stress the importance of attending to both the immediate and long-term mental health needs of all affected community members during this crisis.
CLICK HERE for Mental Health Resources by County
CLICK HERE for NAMI Shasta County
Image Credit: Pixabay/geralt