NAMI Los Angeles County Council will sponsor a Connections Facilitator Training, August 25 & 26,
2018, in Los Angeles. The Connections curriculum is designed to enable co-facilitators who are not
mental health professionals to run support groups for their peers. It is an opportunity for NAMI
members to help support other members in navigating the challenges and triumphs of living with a
mental illness. Facilitators also provide hope and remind members that they are not alone.
- Graduates of a peer to peer course are preferred but not required.
- Be at a point in their life where they are familiar and comfortable with the emotional issues members
face and can self-disclose about their own feelings regarding their illness and recovery.
- Current membership in a NAMI Affiliate ( Los Angeles County Preferred )
- Attend the entire two-day training
- Commit to facilitate groups for at least a year
- Facilitating experience is not needed!
After your application is reviewed and you are accepted as a participant we will then contact you with more details for this training.
- What: Two-day NAMI Connections Facilitator Training
- Who: Contact Zack Kendall, Coordinator for an application at Zackery.Kendall@namisfv.org
- When: August 25 & 26, 2018; Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.; Sunday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- Where: NAMI LACC Headquarters, Los Angeles
- Cost: LA County NAMI affiliate members $100, waived upon participant graduation. Outside affiliates $200. Cost covers trainer fees, breakfast and lunch for both days; and training materials. [NAMI (individual) members or affiliates cover the cost of dinner and hotel accommodations for students.]
- Deadline : Applications must be received by August 15, 2018.
If your interested, CLICK HERE to APPLY.
- Learn exciting research, tools, treatment options and recovery strategies directly from experts
- Discover how to lead effective mental health advocacy efforts
- Hear relatable stories and make personal connections with powerful impact
- Find day-to-day support through coping strategies, health and wellness activities, and legal services
- Earn continuing education credits as a licensed counselor, social worker or registered nurse
The NAMI National Convention connects and inspires people with or affected by a mental illness who are looking for resources, research, support services and recovery strategies. Join this diverse, action-driven gathering of individuals with mental health conditions, family members and caregivers, policymakers, educators, researchers, clinicians, providers, exhibitors, sponsors and press this year in Washington, D.C.
First-on-Board member rate of just $195 is only available until January 31.
To learn more about program offerings, CLICK HERE.
Below is the schedule for NAMI California Education and Support Group Programs. Trainings are announced in the Upcoming Trainings page of the NAMI California website.
Applications are now being received for the following Family Program Education Trainings:
- March 4-6: Family-to-Family – Ventura
- April 1-3: Basics and Family-to-Family – Ontario
Applications are now being accepted for the following Peer Program Trainings*:
March 4-6: Peer-to-Peer – Ventura
No IOOV trainings are scheduled by NAMI California at this time
*Important Note: There will be additional trainings offered for all the programs above. These workshops will be hosted by affiliates and sponsored by NAMI California in the form of small grants. Interested affiliates should contact email@example.com for details on how to apply for a grant.
NAMI support group trainings are for NAMI members to become facilitators of a support group. The education trainings are for members desiring to become teachers or mentors of an education program. Upon graduation, the affiliate makes arrangements with the graduate to teach the class.
Qualifications for training:
Interested parties should be NAMI members in good standing and ideally have graduated from the same education program they intend to teach. A participant also needs to be recommended by their local NAMI chapter. Additional qualifications will apply. Please ask your NAMI affiliate to contact Family and Peer Programs Supervisor Lynn Cathy at firstname.lastname@example.org
to receive an application via email. Prospective teachers/facilitators should return their applications in a timely manner as these workshops fill quickly.
Send inquiries to:
NAMI California Office: (916) 567-0163
Announcement from NAMI San Fernando & Santa Clarita Valley
- DATES: June 27-28th, 2015
- START TIME: 8:00 am. Saturday
- END TIME: 6:00 pm Sunday
- LOCATION: Encino, California
- TO REGISTER: Contact your local affiliate for an application. Candidates must be referred by their affiliate education coordinator/Family to Family or Basics teacher/active Support Group facilitator or local NAMI board member. Applications are remitted to Bmedof@calottery.com
- COST: Materials, training, and meals (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner both days) are covered. Transportation cost is not reimbursed.
- SPONSORED BY: NAMI SFV-SCV
NAMI Support Group Facilitator Requirements:
- Membership in NAMI is $35.00 annually. To find your affiliate’s website and additional contact information go to namicalifornia.org or call NAMI California at 916-567-0163. References from your local NAMI affiliate will be requested.
- It is important that all individuals trained in this curriculum have lived through the experience of having a first degree relative (brother, mother, spouse, etc.) with a mental illness. Caregivers of someone with mental health challenges will also be considered on a case by case basis.
- Be at a point in their life where they are familiar and comfortable with the emotional issues families face and can self-disclose about their own feelings regarding their life situation.
- Be willing to lead a support group for at least once a month for two years. It is understood that unexpected situations may occur in which flexibility in this policy will be needed.
References from your local NAMI affiliate will be requested. Once you are accepted into the training you will receive an email acknowledgement. Emailing confirmation letters will be sent beginning June 15th.
Announcement initiated by:
Bob Medof, Support Group Facilitator Coordinator
NAMI California Family to Family
National Alliance On Mental Illness
1851 Heritage Ln. Ste. 150 Sacramento, CA 95815
Tel: 916-567-0163 FAX: 916-567-1757
Thelma McMillen Center and Betty Ford Center
- Ronald E. Smith, M.D., Ph.D.
Captain, Medical Corps US Navy (Ret)
- Identify three symptoms of PTSD
- Confirm and understand the 12 Steps of recovery
- Describe how the 12 Steps relate to two or more psychological healing processes for PTSD
FREE CMEs and CEUs
FREE Continental Breakfast Provided
Thelma McMillan Center
- Hoffman Health Conference Center
3315 Medical Center Drive
Date & Time
- Tuesday, January 20, 2015
9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. (registration/breakfast at 8:30 a.m.)
RSVP not required
FREE Parking in the MAIN HOSPITAL STRUCTURE (off Lomita on Hospital & Technology Dr.), near the Emergency area. SHUTTLE AVAILABLE.
Torrance Memorial Medical Center is accredited by the Institute for Medical Quality/California Medical Association (IMQ/CMA) to provide continuing medical education for physicians. Torrance Memorial Medical Center designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.5 AMA PRA Category I creditsTM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. This credit may also be applied to the CMA Certification in Continuing Medical Education.
Call (310)-257-5758 for further information.